FIVERR OR FREELANCER
Globally, Fiverr stands as a giant among all freelancing platforms currently available online. A great freelance marketplace where hundreds of thousands of freelancers showcase their services and are daily patronized by an uncountable number of buyers.
Fiverr is a fast-paced business environment, with a gig being purchased every four seconds. Gig is a Fiverr term used to describe a specific service offered by a freelancer.
From the inception of the platform till date, more than fifty million business transactions have been successfully processed, with the price of each gig ranging from $5 to $10,000.
One of the freelance platforms that have proven to be a stiff competitor to Fiverr is Freelancer.com. Freelancer follows closely at the heels of Fiverr, and in this article, we will be comparing the two platforms. We will take a look at some of the things that make each of them outstanding, their pros and cons.
Fiverr was founded in 2010 in Tel Aviv, Isreal and has since then grown to be a force to be reckoned with in the freelancing industry, operating from its headquarters located in New York.
The Fiverr platform hosts millions of users from every corner of the globe, and on this platform, you can get virtually all the services you need to grow your business, whatever your niche.
Fiverr is a very large marketplace for virtual services, that enables freelancers to easily link up with willing buyers. It provides a tremendous opportunity for businesses to hire freelancers from various fields of expertise at a very subsidized rate. The platform features several categories of services, some of which include graphics and designing, writing and translation, business, video and animation, programming and tech, and lots more.
Registration into the platform is totally free and without hassles. Whether you intend to sell your services as a freelancer or your intention is to buy a service, there is absolutely no payment you need to make before joining in on the platform. This is one of the perks of the Fiverr marketplace.
Initially, every service on the Fiverr marketplace was stipulated at the rate of $5. The company’s name “Fiverr” stems from this very fact, every service stood at $5 USD. However, this was later changed in order to afford freelancers the opportunity to offer excellent services and fix their charges accordingly. And so, presently, the price of most services available on Fiverr ranges from $5 to $10,000. Pricing of gigs is left entirely at the discretion of the freelancer.
Fiverr has a very useful and handy app that allows you to work on the go. With an excellent user interface, the Fiverr app affords you the opportunity to work from anywhere. Fiverr is also readily available on devices like Windows, Linux, Android, iPad, iPhone, Mac, and other web based devices.
Navigating through the Fiverr marketplace is easy. Clients can easily streamline and narrow down their search for suitable freelancers for their projects, by simply using the many filter options on each Fiverr category. The categories are neatly organized, and this makes transactions on the platform smooth and easy. The millions of gigs available on Fiverr are smartly classified under specific subcategories and are easy to choose from.
Fiverr operates in the English language, but you don’t have to be fluent in English to use the platform. Basic knowledge of the English language will do, depending on what you are looking to trade on the Fiverr marketplace.
Basically, Fiverr is free for all users. It allows everyone up to 13 years of age to register on their website and trade whatever skills they want and at any rate they choose. Though for each job successfully completed by a freelancer, 20% of the amount charged goes to Fiverr as a commission fee.
Buyers on their part will pay a service fee of $2 for any gig they purchased that is under $40, and 5% of the gig’s price if it is above $40.
Pros and Cons of Fiverr
- Prompt delivery of jobs: Fiverr frowns at any form of delay in responding to customers or delivering their jobs, and penalizes sellers for such. This keeps her freelancers on their feet and makes them meticulous to ensure that each job is delivered perfectly and on time.
- Excellent user Interface: Fiverr is very user friendly and the marketplace is easy to navigate. With just a few clicks you’ll get all you need in a couple of seconds.
- Seller protection: Fiverr protects her freelancers from scammers by blocking off interactions with dubious users. Once the system suspects any scammer posing as a potential buyer, it notifies the freelancer and outrightly shields them from contacting such buyers.
- A vast network of buyers and sellers: hundreds of thousands of client’s troop in on a daily basis to the platform to select and purchase services from an equally large number of freelancers.
- No bidding for jobs: Buyers themselves seek the freelancers, and there is nothing like bidding. Just create your gigs and the customers will come directly to you.
- High commission fee: Fiverr charges sellers on the platform a 20% flat rate commission on each completed job. This commission is also applicable even on tips left by satisfied clients.
- Favours buyers more: on Fiverr it’s usually the buyer’s words against the seller’s. The buyer is always right, and this gives room for buyers to bully freelancers.
Freelancer was established in the year 2009 with its headquarters in Australia. Its website statistics stated that it has over thirty one million registered users. Freelancer is also one of the most famous freelance marketplace obtainable online. The platform prides itself as the world’s largest freelancing marketplace, crowded with several users and projects.
How Freelancer Works
The modus operandi on the platform is that buyers post project on the board with a brief detailing their requirements, budget and expectations. Then, freelancers on the platform, with relevant skill sets needed for the project start to contest for the job by placing bids for the job. From among the contestants, the buyer selects a freelancer to handle his project. The system usually matches freelancers with job opportunities that match their skill sets, as outlined in the profile of the freelancers.
The site shows the number of bids that have been made on a project, together with the price quoted by each bidder. The client eventually chooses who will make a choice on whom he wants to work with based on the price quote and skills of the bidder.
Usually, payment for services rendered by freelancers is made according to milestones set by the freelancer. All freelancers on this platform are required to set their payment schedule for a particular job, according to the amount of work done per milestone.
In the case that a buyer is not satisfied with the quality of work submitted by the seller, he can dispute the milestone, prove his case beyond reasonable doubt and have his money refunded. The client lacks the jurisdiction to cancel the milestone on his own.
On freelancer, sellers are allotted a number of bids based on the type of membership plan they hold. Freelancers who have a free membership would only get about 8 bids per month, while those with paid membership get between $50 to $1500 bids every month.
Basically, there are 5 membership plans available on the Freelancer platform, with the individual plans attracting different monthly fees that range from as little as $0.99 to a maximum payment of $59.95. The plans are Introductory plan with a monthly payment of $0.99, Basic plan with $4.95, Plus plan with $9.95/month, Professional plan $29.95/month, and Premier plan $59.95/month.
Each membership plan bequeaths different privileges and determines the number of bids users are entitled to get, the commission rates, withdrawal limitations and so on.
Freelancers with standard membership plan are charged a commission rate of $4 or 5% and those with premium membership plan $3 or 3%.
- No charges for posting jobs on the board or service fee for working with a freelancer.
- A 30-day free trial period
- Membership is complex and confusing
- The concept of evaluating the quality of bids is unfavourable to freelancers.
- Charges high commission fee for small jobs.
- Several charges are levied on users, such as transaction fees, commission fees, and membership fees.
So who wins? Fiverr Or Freelancer.com.au
The winner for us is Fiverr, it’s easily a much better platform, better buyers and sellers